The Balkan and Euro-Mediterranean Network of Councils for the Judiciary
The Balkan and Euro-Mediterranean Network of Councils for the Judiciary, of which our Council is a founder member, is an organization that is a continuation of “the Conference of the Regulatory Judicial Authorities of the Balkan Region”.
Nine international conferences were held until the said “Network” became what it is today, and the name of the said cooperation process was given the name “the Balkan and Euro-Mediterranean Network of Councils for the Judiciary” after the related Bylaw was signed by the member states at the Conference held in Romania between 11-13 May 2014, where the High Council of Judges and Prosecutors was also represented.
The prerequisite for the membership is to have a judicial council that functions in the Balkan and Euro-Mediterranean Region and that is either independent from the executive and legislative powers or autonomous. The states that are members of this network are: Albany, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Hungary, Italy, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania and Turkey.
The main objectives of the network are:
- As the protector of the rule of law in the region, to improve the cooperation between the member states in order to strengthen the independence and impartiality of the judiciary,
- To ensure the protection and strengthening of the status of judges and prosecutors,
- To increase the trust in the judiciary,
- To increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the judiciary,
- To ensure the strengthening of the organizational capacity of the judicial councils.
At the 10th Conference of the Balkan and Euro-Mediterranean Network of Councils for the Judiciary that was held between 27 and 29 May 2015 in Tiran, the capital of Albany, where “the Role of the Councils for the Judiciary as the Assurance of the Judicial Independence and Accountability” was discussed; our Council was elected unanimously to the membership of the Executive Board of The Balkan and Euro-Mediterranean Network of Councils for the Judiciary.
For the official website of BEMNCJ